On Mon, June 14, 2004, GKD Moderator asked:

> 1. Can we effectively measure the costs, benefits, and educational
> impact of ICT-enhanced professional development initiatives? If so, what
> is the best approach -- are there concrete examples?

Below in an example of a K-12 project's assessments.

The program will be subject to annual audit by the sponsor. Specific
areas to be audited will be agreed to in the contract. However, we
propose the following areas for audit.

1.  Pupil growth rate and performance as measured on the ISTEP, other
state and federal designated assessment instruments, and the NWEA exams,

2.  Pupil attendance rate,

3.  Parental satisfaction survey,

4.  Staff satisfaction surveys,

5.  Percentage of students promoted,

6.  Graduation rates,

7.  Budget projections vs. actual spending, and

8.  Retention Rates

These are all standard measurements for a standard education program,
and as such give a baseline for comparison in key areas of performance.
Common areas to most programs would be a budget comparison,
participation rates and satisfaction survey, and standardized testing on
a subject area to compare methods. There is no one best approach because
there are many ways to measure the success of a program. There might
also be more short-term goals like these, or more long-term goals such
as in this instance, students who entered college, or who entered a
career of their choosing and were able to hold that job for two years.
Maybe we look at the retention rate of professionals in their mother
country just like we look at the rate we keep students in school.