Dear GKD Members,

Welcome to the DOT-COM discussion on Cyber-Security in International
Development. We use the term cyber-security to refer to securing both
data and information systems. Cyber-crime refers to violations of
cyber-security with criminal intent, be it for financial, political, or
social gain.

Cyber-security is everyone's business. Whether a casual computer user,
a network administrator or a policy maker, we are all responsible for
knowing as much as we can about protecting our data and information
systems.

The critical challenges we face in countering violations of
cyber-security are:

* The global nature of security threats - a cyber-criminal can
perpetrate a crime in one country while operating from another country
with a different legal framework.

* The virtual nature of cyber-security - no physical intrusion needs to
take place. Modern ICT networks make security much more complicated than
in the past.

* The processing power of computers - computers improve efficiency of
most activities - including criminal behavior. A few people can do great
harm using the multiplier effect of computer technology.

Although cyber-security is a global issue, organizations, governments
and individuals in developed countries often have a clear advantage in
addressing such threats. They have easier access to information about
new threats, as well as the means to counter them. They have more
resources available to prevent security violations.

In contrast, developing countries often lack the information and
resources necessary to protect themselves. Many lack the infrastructure
(both physical and legal) to prosecute cyber-crimes effectively, leaving
their citizens vulnerable to fraud and exploitation. Worse yet,
violations of cyber-security may be more damaging to developing
countries. For example, if a country is perceived (rightly or wrongly)
as a source of online fraud, all companies in that country will have
difficulty doing business globally.

Developing countries need more effective responses at every level: from
the national government and legal policy, down to individual actions to
protect personal data and equipment. Wherever awareness or information
is limited, cyber-criminals tend to strike.

We would like to focus this discussion on recommendations for positive,
concrete actions needed from government, businesses, NGOs and
individuals in order to enhance cyber-security.

The Agenda:

Week 1 - (9/20-9/24): Cyber-security and Human Rights
Week 2 - (9/27-10/1): Cyber-security and E-commerce
Week 3 - (10/4-10/8): Legal Infrastructure and Cyber-terrorism
Week 4 - (10/11-10/15): New threats...and security measures...on the
horizon

The discussion builds on a session of the DOT-COM/InterAction ICT
Speaker Series (September 16, 2004) entitled "Cyber-security Issues in
International Development Environments". More information on the
session, and presentations by the speakers, can be found at the DOT-COM
Alliance web site
<http://www.dot-com-alliance.org/events/cybersecurity.htm>

***WORLD WIDE WEB SITES FOR THE DISCUSSION***

The DOT-COM Alliance website provides information about GKD's
Cyber-Security discussion, the DOT-COM/Interaction Speaker Series, and
other projects using ICT to support development:
http://www.dot-com-alliance.org/

The DOT-COM Archive of this discussion (as of September 20th) is
available at:
http://www.dot-com-alliance.org/archive.html

The GKD database provides an easy way to search messages of this and
other GKD discussions:
http://www.GKDknowledge.org

*** FOR FURTHER INFORMATION ***

For further information about the DOT-COM Discussions, please contact:
Barbara Fillip, DOT-COM Secretariat
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

For further information about the GKD List, please contact:
Janice Brodman, dot-ORG,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]