Dear Colleagues,

My name is Emmanuel Njenga and I am working with the Association for
Progressive Communications (APC).

I would like to respond to some of the questions raised and interesting
comments especially the recent ones on definitions of cyber-crimes and
cyber-terrorism.

In this regard, I would like to highlight a few examples of what is
going on in Africa where it seems some countries do not understand the
issues well and hence are adopting a reactionary manner to address
issues, as opposed to proper policies, strategies and legislation.

In the case of Zambia a Cyber-crime (dubbed 'computer crimes') bill was
recently passed (not sure if this has become law yet) and it seems that
this was more of a government reaction (although government claims it
was a follow up from the policy framework) after a particular situation
in which a man who hacked a government website was not prosecuted, as
there was no legislation to this effect. So in this case we see a
government going forward to enact legislation to counter such a measure
without a comprehensive understanding of the issues.

In other countries, like South Africa, they seem to have taken a
different approach, where they are soon to enact a new law targetting
child pornography measures that will have implications for computer
technicians, Internet service providers and cyber-cafes. The new law
will be in the form of amendments to the Film and Publications Act. So
in a nutsell, they are tightening existing laws to cover existing crimes
that are futher facilitated by the Internet/computers.

In Kenya, there seems to be major confusion on addressing some issues
such as access of ponography by minors from the Internet. On one hand
there are those who insist there exists legislation to counter these
issues:

"The Act clearly stipulates a penalty under the Rights of Children and
Protection section. It states that notwithstanding penalties contained
in any other law, any person willfully infringing on the specified
rights [of children] shall be liable upon summary conviction to a jail
term or imprisonment not exceeding 12 months; or to a fine not exceeding
Sh50,000 or to both."

On the other hand, the police are not soo sure...and are now calling for
new legislation:

"However, the police, who are supposed to enforce the law, do not seem
to have any clue that it exists. Criminal Investigations Department
spokesman Gideon Kibunja says: "Since the Internet was introduced in
Kenya, I cannot remember anybody being arrested because of browsing
pornography sites or displaying obscene pictures as screen savers. Even
if one is arrested, he/she cannot be charged in court under the law that
makes it criminal to be in possession of a pornographic publication or
videotape."

The above are just a few cases of what is going on in Africa, a trend
that seems mostly driven by lack of awareness and confusion of issues
while some others like South Africa are making good progress in some
areas. These are some of the areas that need to be addressed by the
questions raised below - which I will try to answer in the coming days.

In the meanwhile, you can view more details of the above cases and
developments taking place in Africa from the Africa ICT Policy Monitor
website...below..

Section on News > Security and Privacy

http://africa.rights.apc.org/en.shtml?apc=21875ne_1

Regards,

Emmanuel Njenga

Emmanuel Njenga Njuguna
Africa Policy Monitor Project
Association for Progressive Communications (APC)
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: http://africa.rights.apc.org
Tel: 61 4 0151 7112

On Monday, October 11, 2004, Global Knowledge Dev. Moderator asked: