On Monday, September 27, 2004, Global Knowledge Dev. Moderator asked:

> When countries are branded as "unsafe" for e-commerce, what can innocent
> companies do to rescue their own e-commerce efforts?

The reality is that the biggest credit card companies are owned by
financial institutions primarily domiciled in the developed world. And
it is only natural for these companies to view transactions from
anywhere else but from the localities of their member-owners as
"unsafe".

When countries are (rightly or wrongly) branded unsafe it immediately
creates a herd effect within the economies and country groups where the
"branding" originated. Innocent companies within those countries are not
even given a chance to prove their innocence as they are typically
grouped with their branded country.

In my opinion, it is primarily the duty of the governments of the
affected countries to make every effort to get decertified both offline
and online. Business may also need to aggregate into a strong lobby
group to ensure that government officials spearhead the campaign to
secure a "seat" at the cyber table.

The process of labelling countries needs also to be more transparent.
Legitimate businesses ought not be made to suffer for the structural
deficiencies of the environments within which they operate.

Fola Odufuwa
ED

--
eShekels Limited