Dear Al,

I'm by no means saying that it is impossible (or even only un-ethical)
to make profit out of selling needed (!) ICT-services to whomsoever
-poor included. I do agree that there may be -or even there are already
proven- win-win situations. You point out some candidates. I do however
insist, that this analysis -if aimed to improve the situation of the
poor- has to start with an analysis of what services are needed (or
useful) to help the poor to get out of their situation -again you gave
candidate examples- and not based on marketing and packaging strategies
for actual service providers. And I said so.

I am aware of most of the examples in the Digital Dividend site. Yet I
haven't found -may be I just missed them- evaluated examples (i.e.
studies that use the instruments of standard Impact-analysis (and
econometrics) like Base-Lines, Control-groups, Correlation or
Factor-analysis, etc.), prove in quantifiable way the positive impact of
"ICT for the Poor" projects. It's more: I posted the question for such a
type of study in this list more than once -without reply- and I put
forward the same question to WRI/DD, when we were discussing a joint
project between WRI and the Central American Country Gateways ... with
no concrete answer either.

What there is ... are tales about potentials (like in your email) and
tales about success-stories -expressed as acceptance or usage- yet no
hard and systematic economic data. (May I add that this is a hot topic
of discussion for ICT and their impact on productivity and profitability
in general). That's why I'm insisting (after almost 20 years of
experience in a developing country and another 14 in a Top-OECD country)
to put the poor's viewpoint (and interest) first and do not accept
automatics as if what sells serves because otherwise it wouldn't be
bought.

Yours
Cornelio