Al Hammond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> is correct when he observes:

> Vickram Crishna offers interesting insights--and I accept that the world
> is more complicated and that boundaries are often blurred in practice.
> ...[text deleted].. Nonetheless, until recently, few socially-minded
> entrepreneurs were starting for-profit businesses aimed at serving the
> poor, and few large companies consciously adopted strategies aimed at
> low-income markets, and now it is distinctly more than a few--we are
> looking, potentially, at a paradigm shift here.

We are on a slippery slope here. In one direction we slide into
generalities about what could be. In the other direction we slide into
danger. At the core of this discussion is the helping relationship, or
more bluntly, the gifting relationship. At the core we are talking about
how the "haves" help the "have nots" to reduce the quality of life gap
that divides them.

The world has a long history of gifting relationships, most built within
communities and ranging -in practice- from simple giving to more
sensitive joint efforts with all those desirable partnership properties
we are so keen to identify as essential. The world has a long history of
good (and bad) corporate participation in such efforts, some carried on
as charitable "gifting" and some carried on as social entrepreneur
efforts. It comes as no surprise that within an era where
entrepreneurship is touted, that we have the emergence of NGOs looking
to carry out socially progressive business and focus on "social capital"
schemes.

The driver at the heart of this is no different than that which has been
at the heart of utopian community efforts across time. Can we work
together and can we do better?

There is nothing wrong with the motive, the WHY. The challenges come
with the WHAT and HOW. The corporate sector may just want to "Do good",
it may be looking to "More markets", or it may be trying to blend both.
That is obvious and efforts can be judged as they unfold.

What is less obvious but more slippery is the roles for NGOs here. For
most NGOs the WHY motive is laudable. The problems arrise with the WHAT
and HOW. The core problem for most NGOs is access to resources. The
solution, in most cases, is to seek resources from the "haves" to
help/work with the "have not's". There are only three ways for NGOs to
get resources: 1) seek them as donations; 2) seek them as contracted
program/project funds; or 3) act like a business and "grow" them from
revenues.

The risk here is that the HOW drives the WHAT. This is the problem of
what I call "The NGO dance". Simply put, the problem for the NGO is
either "Who do you dance with?" or "Who do you dance for?" Dancing WITH
and dancing FOR are long recognized as two very different kinds of dance
activity.

It is worth looking at recent history here. When the United States,
addressing the United Nations, identified NGOs as partners in the US
effort in Iraq, a noticable shutter went through the NGO community.
This, as well as the use of contracted companies for "reconstruction"
work in IRAQ, blurred the line between NGOs and others in that tragic
situation. There are other factors at work of course, but the safe space
for NGO work has been diminished. Blurring the lines is not always
useful. Likewise, those NGOs who decide to dance to their own music, by
growing revenues from a business model, run the risk of the HOW
perverting both the WHAT and the WHY?

Sometimes the appropriate reponse to an offer of a helping hand, or a
novel internal business strategy, is to say "Thanks but no Thanks." This
is frequently the appropriate response for the have nots of the world,
and may be the response that NGOs should consider if they wish to remain
true to their vision and their mission. Better to be small and part of
the solution than to be large and part of the problem. Enter the dance
with caution.

Sam Lanfranco
Distributed Knowledge Project
York University