Dear GKD List Members,

My name is Kevin Newman. Recently, I worked on a project in Macedonia
that aimed to do exactly what this discussion is examining: Reduce
poverty and increase job opportunities by employing a "business
approach"; specifically to strengthen the ability of local businesses to
compete in the global market. One area of my work in Macedonia involved
creating an IT Cluster focused on digital media, such as 3D Animation
(e.g., Shrek, Toy Story) and digital postproduction. The piece below
describes this activity and the outcomes, which I think have
implications -- and can provide a model for -- efforts to grow economies
and reduce poverty through a "technology and business approach" in other
developing countries. Just by way of an introduction, my previous
experience in the ICT & Development space includes: creating USAID
sponsored IT Consortiums in the Balkans; wireless infrastructure for
Bill & Melinda Gates' research projects in Africa; IT Policy work in the
Asia-Pacific region with APDIP - UNDP; and establishing a Financial
sector portal for Banks in the COMESA region of Africa. My interests
include broadband wireless applications for infrastructure
leap-frogging, ICT & trade integration (esp. supply chain management),
and IT-focused foreign direct investment (FDI) in emerging markets. I
look forward to contributing and learning from this group.

All the best,
Kevin Newman

"The Balkanization of Animation!" - Balkan FX Cluster enters Hollywood

For the last 18 months in Macedonia (FYROM), USAID has sponsored a
Cluster focused project <http://mca.org.mk> to increase the global
competitiveness of the Macedonian economy. While the term
"competitiveness" has been a donor buzzword for some time, there remains
confusion in these types of projects regarding the the definition of
"success", the expected outcomes (aside from simply increasing exports,
irregardless of value-added), and the necessary sequencing of Cluster
development. Realizing that Cluster success comes only from tight,
targeted cooperation among related firms, we decided to focus our
initial intervention on the emerging 3D Animation / Digital Media
technology firms.

In Macedonia, given their long academic tradition in innovative IT
research, we anticipated there would be many savvy entrepreneurs to
establish an FX-focused Cluster. However, despite the promise of this
sector, we were most concerned about developing a working "model" with
the IT Cluster, one that demonstrates by example the need for meeting
end-customer demands, focusing on target market research and leveraging
global networks, which could then be adapted to other industries.

In our "model" for achieving Cluster success, we focused on several key
components:

1) Developed a "pay-as-you-go" model of interaction. We invested time
and technical assistance only where a commercial return could be
properly forecast, demand estimated, and ROI articulated. To break the
donor dependency path, the Cluster had to focus on delivering results
and reinvesting profits in business development before reinvestment
continues.

2) Targeted technical assistance in formulating business models that
sequence Cluster development from initial "outsourcing" contracts (low
margin, good revenue, high visibility), to developing indigenous,
full-length animated features originating in the Balkans.

3) Developing scale economies through advanced training. Leveraging
resources across other IT-focused donor projects, we created a new
public-private initiative "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" in order to train over 600 high
school students, with a majority being female, with the goal of
extending this training to all secondary schools in Macedonia. This
initiative reached across the entire nation to create the 100+ animators
necessary for economies of scale to compete with Hollywood competitors.
<http://www.usaid.org.mk/English/EDU/E-schools_eng.asp>

4) Importance of Point-of-Contact Sales Training - including technical
assistance focused on international trade show participation & training
to "fill-the-pipeline". We also worked with the IESC consultant, Julia
Frey, to help FX3X develop a virtual office presence in Los Angeles,
which is crucial to client relationship development.

5) Professionalizing the Cluster through legally-binding subcontracts
with local competitors, a global marketing strategy, and the
professional and timely delivery of services. The Cluster utilized the
web for introducing the product and services, with short video segments
to attract attention. <http://www.fx3x.com/showreel.htm>

6) Intensive short-term & long-term business planning sessions with
Cluster leaders to ensure each firm incorporates collaborative shared
costs (esp. financing, marketing and project management), and profit
sharing.

This type of initiative has enormous promise as a means to offer young
people throughout the country new, high-value-added, job opportunities.
As mentioned, the goal is to make the animation training available in
all secondary schools throughout the country, thereby opening
opportunities for all students, including those from low income
communities, to obtain jobs that pay well. At the same time, having a
large group of people with animation skills will strengthen the ability
of the Macedonian animation industry to go to scale and compete
internationally. However, there are many challenges. Perhaps the most
difficult grows out of the numerous cultural, historical and regional
legacy issues, distrust among business leaders and limited cooperation
at the firm level -- this continues to be the biggest barrier to
developing this FX Cluster. Another obstacle was exorbitantly high
telecom costs in Macedonia, reputedly the highest per capita in Europe.
However, the shared vision of Cluster leaders to deliver professional FX
outsourcing, particularly over the Internet, led to a concerted effort
by the National Competitiveness Council, donors and local Chambers of
Commerce to address this obstacle.

By addressing common issues to reduce barriers and increase
competitiveness, the Macedonia IT Cluster is setting a compelling
example to other Clusters regarding the selection, targeting, marketing
and delivery of world-class outsourcing services/products. IT becomes
the enabler of economic growth, which cuts across a broad swath of
industries and sectors. Simultaneously, it opens opportunities to young
people throughout Macedonia, including very low income communities.

Any comments or observations would be very much appreciated.

Kevin Newman

Kevin Newman
134 Old Causeway Rd., Beaufort, NC 28516
Ph +1.252.240.2914  | M +1.336.366.9778 | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Please visit our web site: http://www.patheast.com