Colleagues:

In previous posts Cornelio Hopmann has placed a heavy emphasis on the
need for before-after or target-control group evaluations and analysis
when designing interventions using ICTs. When we are talking about the
rural poor, I am wondering if there are limits to our ability to make
such assessments sufficiently predictive to be useful in multiple
venues.

The reason is that even (and perhaps especially) in "poor" villages
(however defined) the economic-socio-cultural milieu is, surprisingly,
extremely complex and dynamic. So the best we can do using conventional
methods is to take uncertain snapshots at a point in time which may not
be particularly valid. Given that the ICT "knife" (or any technology)
cuts both ways (it is both a creator and destroyer of values and norms),
perhaps it is not so surprising that sometimes ICT is the most
"cost-effective" solution and other times it is not, as Cornelio himself
reports. Add the usual socio-political manifestation of the "Heisenberg
Uncertainty Principle" where the act of observation itself changes what
is being observed and a fair question is, "what have we learned that is
truly useful?"

If uncertainty is an inherent feature, what is the alternative? I recall
that nearly thirty years ago when I was involved in an academic
competition involving renewable energy projects, an engineering
professor strongly suggested that instead of analyzing and optimizing
sub-systems individually, that we simply sequentially change input
variables (such as the average tilt over time of a solar collector
facing the sun) for the entire system taken as a whole to see what
happens to the output. In others words, treat the entire system as a
"black box" without worrying much about what was happening between and
among the various subsystems inside the box. At the time, this approach
created such an epiphany for many in his audience that he was bombarded
with requests for copies of his presentation which I have kept to this
day. What the professor described, without access to the lexicon we have
available today, was a practical way to deal with a "complex system."

Fast forward about twenty-five years to the advent of the concept of a
"development dynamic" described in the Digital Opportunity Initiative
<http://www.opt-init.org/>. This "new paradigm" was based in part on the
recognition that both the new network dynamics made possible by ICTs as
well as development dynamics were complex and could only ever be
partially understood. So the emphasis was placed instead on exploring a
"strategic framework to guide action." The field of action for the DOI
was at the national level, but I think the same principles could be
applied at local levels as well.

If we were to do this, we would more willing to try different approaches
(obviously informed by past experience, knowledge, and context) and to
allow those to be "tweaked" until we and our partners get it right for
that particular milieu, ie, vary the inputs (eg, more community
discussions which could lead to more computers in schools available for
use in the evening), one by one, to obtain the desired output (eg.,
greater adult computer literacy). Another situation/venue would likely
require a different mix to achieve the same result, not to mention a
different result. But we would cease to be so preoccupied with applying
the ultimate in evaluation methodologies because we would realize that
prediction and description are only partially achievable at best anyway.
So we would take risks and focus on action. Not all risk-taking efforts
would lead to desired results, but we would be "doing something" instead
of holding endless meetings and intellectual discussions that do nothing
except set the stage for the next round of meetings and intellectual
discussions. I do not think we have this luxury anymore.

We are losing the race toward achieving the MDGs. Poverty is rampant and
growing. Everywhere the "have-nots" are increasing along with the
attendant despair and violence. Quality of life disparities between
"rich" and "poor" are greater than ever before. Our exquisitely planned
and intricately analyzed interventions are not working.

The Undecidability Theorem in mathematics suggests that the fastest way
to test software code is just to run it and see what happens. It is also
impossible to wring out uncertainties in applying technology without
also eliminating creativity in a development context. Perhaps the
corollary in the development game given the present exigencies is to
"just do it."

There is a wonderful graphic at
<http://www.chaordic.org/commons/graphics.htm> illustrating that "living
systems thrive in a narrow band between chaos and order." I think that
development also happens in this "narrow band." Unless we are willing to
spend the energy and take the risk of using technology to find this
region wherever we are working (and doing it over and over again,
however imperfectly), ICTs as significant poverty-busting tools are a
lost cause.

Gary Garriott
(Former) E-governance Adviser
LAC SURF - UNDP