Dear GKD List Members,

On Friday, November 26, 2004, Shahid Uddin Akbar wrote:

> Still we didn't find any single project which can claim itself as
> Sustainable in terms of being financially viable and serving the local
> rural communities anywhere in the world.
..snip...
> Why are the organizations rushing for financial sustainability in the
> case of rural ICT projects? It also must have some donor driven ideology
> to make the development initiatives Commercially viable, which is not
> possible in a realistic approach.
..snip...
> So, can we put the idea aside to make all rural ICT for Development
> projects commercially viable?

I would say yes and no. We have developed a viable model for financing
the initial investment to set up rural TeleCenters/kiosks, with Donor
money, on a wide scale.

But thereafter, Telecenters HAVE to be able to pay for maintenance,
amortization of equipment and operating costs, by themselves! In fact,
a lot of Donor money DEPENDS on providing credible forecasts about
this.

One year's costs can be as much as the whole initial investment and the
Donors we work with don't want to have to come in year after year, or
see the projects fail.

Therefore, we have developed (and are close to marketing even in
Bangladesh) a system called "VillagE-volution", a Knowledge,
Information, Commercial and Consultancy system, aimed at rural
communities wordwide, that should greatly help villagers in their
development process and therefore even in paying for the Telecenters.

We are even putting together a good, sustainable, Telecenter business
model, based on VillagE-volution and the best services that can be
provided with today's most up-to-date technology (VSAT, wireless and
all), to be presented very soon to the Donors and then implemented
locally, through NGOs and other entities with which we are connected.

Therefore, we are analyzing all the information that we can find on
rural Telecenter profitability (the main sources of revenue in the more
successful examples until today and the reasons for failure of the ones
that did not succeed).

>From your first sentence, it looks like you have some knowledge on the
matter, or you may know someone that does. Or other List Members may.

If so, could you kindly provide us with such information?

Thanks for your support and the enlightening contributions that List
Members and the Organizers have provided us.

Arrigo della Gherardesca
Managing Director
ItAfrica - Italian African Alliance srl
Milano, Italy