Dear GKD Members,

In India, I've heard about the use of wireless-based Internet video
conferencing for meetings between citizens in multiple villages and
their district manager.

In Turkey, a local government provided deep access to accountability and
fiscal spending information.

In Mongolia, the Prime Minister uses e-consultation to gather input in
both Mongolia and in English by sharing certain draft legislation.

I am interested in collecting more suggestions for possible e-democracy
case studies from all over the world. Please forward this message far
and wide within your countries. A project is waiting to be discovered by
the world.

Thanks,

Steven Clift

E-democracy Best Practices - Submit, Draft, Discuss:

    http://www.dowire.org/bp

On this new project site you can:

    1. Recommend an E-democracy Project or Strategy
         (Best before 31 DEC 2004)
    2. Commend an Online Feature or E-democracy Practice
         (Best before 24 DEC 2004)
    3. Nominate "Most E-democracy Enabled Governments"
    4. Nominate "Most Wired Politicians"
    5. Share a Local E-Activism Story
    6. Join the E-democracy Best Practices Leadership Team
    7. Help draft or comment on Briefs and Case Studies
         (Honorariums available for accepted topics)
    8. Get a preview of the new DoWire blog and wiki system

In particular, we are looking for "undiscovered" e-democracy projects
outside the UK with relevant lessons for the UK local authorities. In
the past, I've discovered most leading e-democracy practices
<http://publicus.net/articles.html> in-person! This is because those
closest to innovation often don't realize they are ahead or in fact
innovators. Help us uncover the stories and case studies to be told.
Submit suggestions please: http://dowire.org/submit

For updates on this UK Local E-democracy National Project-funded
exploration of global e-democracy best practices, join the 2800+ member
Democracies Online Newswire e-mail announcement list and new blog:
http://dowire.org

Additional UK-supported projects that I am involved with:

    Enhanced Webcasting - http://www.dowire.org/webcasting
    -- New online community for public sector webcasters and
       multimedia folks

    Civic Weblogging - http://readmyday.co.uk/blogs/
    -- Local government bloggers in the UK

    Local Issues Forums - http://e-democracy.org/uk
    -- Many-to-many citizen forums that matter

For more information on the UK Local E-democracy National Project, watch
these sites <http://www.e-democracy.gov.uk> and <http://www.e-dem.info>

Please forward this message to others or mention key points in
e-newsletters, blogs, etc.

Thanks,

Steven Clift
Democracies Online