Keith, (and all, of course)

As this is my profession, (some would say my passion) I thought it might
be appropriate for me to add to this conversation. I opted for the
in-line method to assure I address all of your questions.

On 1/7/05, Keith Birkhold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I was reading though the message submitted by Lee Thorn and was
> particularly interested in his use of WiMax technology. Lee could you
> exaborate on how far you have been able to progress with the WiMax
> technology? If there are any others in our group with WiMax experience,
> I would appreciate your comments.

At this time there is no formal WiMAX equipment available in the world.
The best estimates are that you will see WiMAX certified equipment
towards the end of this year. There is what is commonly being labeled as
Pre-WiMAX equipment being sold but this is not the technology being
employed by the Jhai project (unless I missed a memo)

The terms WiMAX and WiFi are used quite often but the reality is that
both of these terms are clearly defined standards for specific
technology and what we are really talking about is what is known as
License Exempt wireless.

I offer this explanation not to be pedantic but rather to explain that
using the wrong technical term is analogous to walking into an
automotive repair facility and telling them that your television isn't
working. While you may gain some sympathy, it is doubtful you will
receive the help you are seeking.

> We are in the process of building a hybrid e-school to be regionalized
> around Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA.

There are several choices for connectivity in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I am
pretty sure you can get a full T1 dedicated to your project for under
$500/month. If you need help with finding connectivity please contact me
off-list and I will be glad to assist you.

> Even though we do not have the last mile connectivity issues that many
> participants in the GKD group face, we too are limited in the type of
> education we employ by the lowest connectivity speed. I did some
> reasearch on using this technology to create a metropolitan area
> network, and with the potential for a 30 mile coverage radius from one
> tower a lot of headaches could be eliminated, but the feedback I
> received was that it is still several years off, and that the hardware
> is not yet small enough to fit into a notebook computer.

I am not sure where you got that information as misinformation abounds
in this field but many cities have WiFi connectivity citywide. As to
whether the hardware is small enough to fit in a notebook computer most
notebook computers come with wireless connectivity built in. Intel uses
the brand name Centrino, If you live in a city that has ubiquitous
coverage you should be able to open your notebook just about anywhere in
the city and connect.

As to the idea that you would want to set up one tower and cover 30
miles, this is not how the networks are designed. There is only so much
connectivity one can supply from one tower and the more people you try
to service from that one tower the slower service everyone receives - we
all share a connection. Instead of one central tower that everyone is
serviced from, many locations are used with each location having their
data then "relayed" back to one specific point (commonly referred to as
a NOC or Network Operations Center) to be forwarded to the net from
there.

> If any of you have additional info, I would appreciate hearing from you.

I do this for a living and I can tell you this is something that I could
write volumes on. Please consider contacting me off-list if you need
further assistance in this project.

Respectfully,

Ken DiPietro
New-ISP