"crawl, walk, run, fly"... "leap-frog" ... "cheetah-polevault"

Happy New Year Everyone!

I have been following the rich deliberations that have been going on in
this forum. Thanks to EDC for making it possible. I have gained a lot
from it.

It might not be appropriate to dwell on the above topic amidst the
Tsunami Crisis. However as an optimistic entrepreneur and a Nigerian
American resident and doing business in the Silicon Valley, I just want
to throw in my 2 Kobo.  (Warning: This may not be commercially equal to
2 pence but may exceed it when expressed in terms of psychic income.)

What of Quantum Leap ...? Digital vs. Analog?

CK Prahalad said it all at the 2004 WRI "Eradicating Poverty through
Profit" Conference in San Francisco. The Western World has spent several
years in cracking the economic and ICT development codes. It would be
foolish of the developing countries to trail the same path of crawling,
walking, running over the same hurdles of trials and errors that have
already been fine tuned with clinical trials. Why crawl if there is a
template for flying which one can customize to suit one's need? There is
no need to re-invent the wheels. The reality is that many Nigerians did
not have to own, or learn how to use, a land phone before a cell phone.
To be statistically thrifty, over 1,000 functional users of cell phones
in Nigeria today (including my mother) are illiterate. I didn't have to
send my mother to school before buying a cell phone for her. Is it a
quantum leap for her or what? Let us all see what we can do in parallel
to make this project a success and make money from it as well!
OneVillage is already playing this right.

Let us be realistic. Like many countries, Nigeria has the potentials and
a track record of executing some large scale PET PROJECTS successfully
despite the fact that their system may stink and other societal needs
might be over looked. The New Federal Capital, Commonwealth Conference,
FestAC, All African Games, etc, are just a few pleasant global surprises
from Nigeria.  You know, if Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties were
waiting to perfect Alum Rock and East Palo Alto before encouraging the
establishment of industries and small businesses next door, there
probably wouldn't have been a Silicon Valley by now. Nigeria has a lot
of infrastructure and social problems but not more than India. Somebody
needs to drive the standards, package it with image rebuilding
initiatives and follow it up with training, evaluation and global
lobbying (Lobbying, NOT bribery). Yes, Nigeria needs it.

El Rufai is in order. He seems to have a good track record of getting
the job done too. However, I think David Sawe is correct. With many
necessary things lined up in parallel with construction, I have no doubt
that there could be a Silicon Valley in the Federal Capital Territory.
Why not? Nigeria has a lot of untapped wealth, indigenous intellectuals
and global sponsors/investors that can make it happen. They just have to
QUANTUM LEAP their system to make it Silicon Valley-Ready while the
constructions are going on. The government probably needs a more
elaborate version of some of those Silicon Valley Corporate Readiness
Boot-Camps that I organize.

Do people really know what Silicon Valley is? Seriously, some people get
disappointed when they find out that it is not a Technology Plaza or
Park. For those who are still interested in this topic, the article
below will show you that the Capital Territory probably has more in
common with the Prune Valley (the real name of the Valley before chips
took over) than we think. ONE DAY BEGINS A STORY. My comments are seen
after each link.

Orchards to Online: Top 10 Events That Shaped Silicon Valley
Posted in San Jose Mercury News on Thu, Feb. 28, 2002

1.   The Computer Chip
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/living/2765031.htm> -
Nigeria has several unknown inventors like Emeka Uzoh with over 98
Worldwide semiconductor patents, Emeagwali the computer guru, and
others.

2.   San Jose Sprawl: Dutch Hamann
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/living/2765036.htm> -
Who knows, El Rufai might be the one. He is probably not squandering the
money allotted to his office like many others.

3.   Founding of Hewlett-Packard
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/living/2765046.htm> -
In addition to ChevronTexaco and Shell presence, HP, Intel and IBM
already have bigger eyes on Nigeria for the future. The role of small
businesses cannot be overlooked. Nnewi Nigeria, would not be what it is
today without them.

4.   Minority-Majority Ethnic Shift
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/living/2765064.htm> -
This is already happening in Abuja in terms of ethnic and national
diversity.The climates are similar too.

5.   End of WWII: Urbanization
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/living/2765065.htm> -
Urbanization? Think of Abuja 12 years ago.

6.   Moffet's influence
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/living/2765071.htm> -
Well, Nigeria is not there yet.

7.   Netscape-IPO
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/living/2765076.htm> -
Many companies are heading towards this direction now. Lagos Stock
Exchange can tell you more.

8.   Founding of Apple
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/living/2765083.htm> -
Like some students in Nigeria, Steve Wozniak was playing with some scrap
metals and wires from obsolete machines, typewriters, and cash registers
while he was a student at Homestead High School, Cupertino California.
What did that Prune Valley School have by then?

9.   Frederick Terman and the Rise of Stanford
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/living/2765092.htm> -
Nigeria just needs to encourage local Universities to collaborate
efficiently with many Universities in developed countries.

10.  Water development
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/living/2765098.htm> -
The current CEO of the Santa Clara Water District was born and bred in
Nigeria.

Bye for now.

Mary (Molly) Uzoh
Chief Learning Officer
Learning Right Technologies
P. O. Box 51616
San Jose, CA 95151
Phone: (408) 531-1967
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
About Learning Right Technologies

Headquartered in the heart of the Silicon Valley of California, Learning
Right Technologies is a certified minority (African American)
woman-owned, small business that specializes in IT consulting and
educational services/tools. We provide interactive multimedia e-learning
curriculum development, FOSS implementation, technical training,
educational and television production, research services. Our team of
consultants is made up of hi-tech professionals with academic
specialization in computer science, mathematics, instructional
technology, multimedia design including video streaming, database
administration, as well as several years of management, and very strong
hands-on technical experience in delivering learning services to
schools, government agencies, small to medium size businesses, and high
tech corporations. We have just completed the design and development of
a prototype of a series of interactive multimedia e-learning software
for African Languages. Therefore, we are available to start working on
your project as soon as you need us.

At <http://www.learningright.com>, we respect your right2learn the
right thing, the right way; and at the right place, the right time and
the right price.