Sam is on target regarding his "dark horse". What one needs to
understand is that there are many "dark horses" running in this field.
This includes all the military applications which are not only
environmentally hardened, but are use hardened for combat situations,
including nuclear warfare. We are also not considering active devices-
those with their own intelligence for decision making and taking action
on their own. These are automated processors in industrial settings or
simple robots which now can vacuum one's floor without being
preprogrammed- intelligent robotics.

What we are not considering is the rate of technology transfer and to
whom and at what cost. As one individual has commented on this list, the
economic divide is structural and not soluble by a digital system.
Selling the technical solution seems like arguing that these
technologies are hammers and the structual issues can be settled by
transforming them into "nails". We can measure the number of computers
or bits/capita available to varous populations and we can measure
income/capita and other issues. And, since neoclassical economics is all
about numbers and nothing else, that can't be measured, counts, we have
the defined, "digital divide" and NGO's can scatter chips around the
world, and academics can measure varous factors, all is well while the
infrastructure remains.

Let's bring on the "universal translators" and the voice to digital
conversion systems and let's harden them and connect them to WiFi
systems. Let's get universal ID cards with biometrics on board. Or
better, imbed an RFID tag and transmitter in homo sapiens- if the
infratructure is flawed, then the victory may be Pyrric.

thoughts?

tom abeles