Dear GKD Members,

Thanks to all participants in this discussion. I've found it extremely
interesting.

I would like to propose what may be a somewhat radical approach to using
ICT to strengthen local governments (LGs): We should be thinking of LGs
-- and encouraging them to think of themselves -- as companies do. LGs
provide services for citizens, who are their customers -- and are also
their "stockholders". Thus, citizens have a conflicting role. On one
hand, as customers, they want high quality services. On the other, as
stockholders, they want to keep costs down. ICT can help LGs do both.
ICT can improve the efficiencies of "back-office" operations by
squeezing out waste. And ICT can improve services to citizens. I think
Ed Malloy made a crucial point in saying that the latter -- serving
citizens -- is more important than the former -- simply improving
operations for its own sake.

There are several important implications that derive from this approach:

(1) LGs must become more "customer-focused". No viable company invests
in improving operations to produce something that customers don't want.
LGs have to learn to operate on the same principle: identify the needs
of their customers/citizens, and base ICT adoption on fulfilling those
needs. It sounds obvious, but we've all seen innumerable development
projects that help LGs adopt ICT to do something without any clear input
from citizens on their priorities.

How can LGs become customer-focused? There are plenty of tools: surveys,
community meetings, etc. LGs should be encouraged and helped to use
appropriate methods to gauge the needs of their citizen/customers. It is
not enough simply to promote the concept. LGs need specific tools and
understand how and when to use them.

(2) LGs must become more strategically competitive. Small and medium
enterprises (SMEs) in most developing countries have difficulty peering
over the edge of their own community/country and understanding the world
market in which they are competing (knowingly or unknowingly). A major
thrust of economic growth competitiveness projects is to help SMEs
understand where their competitive advantage lies and how to strengthen
it to compete in the global markets. LGs need to learn the same.

Most LGs have no notion that they can use ICT to significantly increase
job/business opportunities in their community. They need to understand
how they can use ICT to promote jobs and entrepreneurship opportunities
in their constituency. Every local government can and should be using
ICT to do so. This is where development support can be extremely
valuable. We should be helping LGs identify the levers they can use to
promote business development in their own backyards, whether they are
Provincial governments, districts, or municipalities.

Some of these levers involve promoting an "enabling environment" within
the locality. For example, LGs -- even municipalities -- can address
data protection issues even if the national government has failed to do
so. Enabling environmental initiatives can be crucial to attracting
investment that provides business/job opportunities.

Other levers are more industry/cluster/enterprise-based. All too many
LGs (with donor support) pursue industry/cluster-support strategies that
are inappropriate and will be ineffective. Many of those strategies are
simply "copy-cat" approaches -- initiatives that are "hot" elsewhere but
are not based on the particular community's competitive position. For
example, many cities are providing tax breaks to companies setting up
call centers; yet even with low costs, many of these call centers are
doomed to failure -- they simply lack an overall competitive advantage
with other locations. LGs need to do exactly what companies must do:
understand their competitive advantage and how to utilize it
strategically.

There are yet other levers. For example, LGs need to understand their
revenue base, and that means understanding such things as capital
markets so that they can foster businesses that will create sustainable
economic growth.

(3) LGs need to operate cross-sectorally. Donors can afford to operate
in "sector" silos: education, health, economic development, etc. LGs
cannot. For example, LGs have to understand how education/training of
the local workforce affects local economic growth in the short- and
long-term. They must be able to use ICT to link across education and
economic development sectors in ways that will strengthen local
businesses.

(4) LGs need to squeeze out inefficiencies. Like businesses, LGs have a
value chain that provides services. They should be able to analyze their
value chain and identify where they can use ICT to reduce costs and
maximize impact. Frankly, I don't buy the notion that LGs will not
reduce inefficiencies because they have too many staff. Rather, I would
argue that the problem is that the staff are doing the wrong things.
There's plenty for LGs to do -- more than current staff could possibly
handle. If ICT can help wring costs out of current processes, staff
could do more that has value. If ICT helps them deliver the right
services, they can get greater positive impact with fewer resources. In
Miraj Khaled's Bangladesh example, the politician that distorted the
decision-making process in order to give his constituency a crippled
power plant probably didn't win many voters.

How do we convince LGs to use ICT to make these changes? That's a topic
for another email -- but not surprisingly, I suggest we use change
management approaches that have proven effective in companies.

Thanks again to all GKD members!

Regards,

Janice

--