On Friday, 10 June 2005, Donald Z. Osborn wrote:

> There is not a huge demand for local language applications right now.

The claim that there is no demand for a product is quite often wrong,
especially when based on supposition rather than investigation. Every
publisher that looked at The Wonderful Wizard of Oz turned it down on
the grounds that there was no demand for American fairy tales. The only
evidence they cited was that there were no American fairy tales in
print--no surprise if every publisher refused to publish them. Frank
Baum had to pay for the initial print run himself, even after he had
several other successful titles. He eventually wrote 13 more books in
the series, by popular demand, and it was continued after his death with
more than 20 others.

In every case involving language support in software that I have
investigated, there is huge latent demand, but it is not expressed
openly because everybody knows they can't get it yet.

An example is Yiddish-language discussion groups, where the question of
writing in Hebrew alphabet rather than Latin transliteration comes up
every few years, and has still not been acted on due to lack of wide
enough distribution of suitable software. (But we're close this time!
Some of us have started a Free/Open Source project for Yiddish support
in Linux, Mac OS, and Windows.)

Your comment is also like saying that mathematicians wouldn't want to
typeset their own work in the days before Donald Knuth's TeX typesetting
software. It turns out that almost all mathematicians and physicists are
willing or even eager to create their papers in TeX.

In fact TeX has been an important option for many languages that were
not well supported in Windows, Mac OS, and Unix until quite recently.
Unfortunately, TeX is not suited to casual use.

 From <http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/bytopic.html>
 # Multilingual Support

     * Misc: The babel Package
     * Multilingual Bibliographies
     * Arabic
     * Armenian
     * Bangla and Asamese
     * Basque
     * Bengali
     * Burmese
     * Casyl
     * Cherokee
     * Chinese, Japanese, Korean
     * Coptic
     * Croatian
     * Czech and Slovene
     * Cyrillic
     * Devanagari
     * Dutch
     * English
     * Epi-Olmec
     * Ethiopian
     * French
     * German
     * Greek
     * Gurmukhi
     * Hebrew
     * Hungarian
     * Icelandic
     * Indian
     * Inuktitut
     * Italian
     * Japanese
     * Korean
     * Latin
     * Malayalam
     * Manju
     * Mongolian
     * Polish
     * Portuguese
     * Romanian
     * Russian
     * Sanskrit
     * Sinhala
     * Slovene
     * Somali
     * Spanish
     * Swedish
     * Tamil
     * Telugu
     * Tibetan
     * Turkish
     * Ukrainian
     * Vietnamese
     * Misc

I went into all of this in detail in three market research studies, one
on technical publishing software, one on non-Latin fonts, and one on the
impact of Unicode.

My computer, running Debian Linux, has keyboard layouts or IMEs for 26
of the 30 major modern writing systems, lacking Tibetan, Mongolian,
Sinhala, and Thaana. All of these are in Unicode, and are supported in
Free fonts. I know several people who can create a keyboard for any
language, and I'm learning to do it myself, so that I can work on
keyboards for Yiddish, Pali, Yoruba, and Klingon to begin with.

--
Edward Cherlin
Generalist & activist--Linux, languages, literacy and more