Dear Colleagues,

I believe Peter's description below is meritorious and deserves careful
thought. There are a number of issues which need to be clearly taken
into account:

1) As the major lending institutions, who are in the process of country
debt forgiveness, understand, there is a minimum level of  the economy
that is needed before we can expect normal enterprise development to
occur. Expecting investments before this threshold has been reached
imaybe false hope and maybe establishing a foundation for failure. Micro
loans and sweat equity only work within selective parameters and are not
a universal panacea. And, expecting the investment to behave in a
neoclassical economic model may not be the appropriate way to value the
return for the investment, regardless of form.

2) The investing organizations do realize that there are often excessive
amounts of funds that are dissapated by the time the original funding is
allocated. Some of this can be laid at the feet of the NGO or other
organization in the field. But, a large part of the problem is the total
lack of trust that funding agencies have and thus the layers of
bureaucratic reporting and management which is superimposed on the
projects because of  this need to provide compliance. In other words,
there is an element of the "self-fulfilling prophesy" here, due in part
to the remoteness of those who release the money from the daily needs of
the final recipients. And the allocation of  developed world compliance
standards can almost exceed the cost of the project itself. I have seen
costs for evaluations equal between 10 and 30% of the total grant, not
including the fiscal management overhead.

3) Volunteers are not a free commodity to any organization. The temporal
nature and varied level of competencies and knowledge require signifcant
management to properly utilize the latent talent. Organizatins have real
overheads which need to be acknowledged  so that the project can reach
maximum benefit. At times, it may be worth the cost of  highly qualified
or even over-qualified professionals than to "make do" with under funded
volunteer organizations.

4) Accessing funding is expensive. It chews up talent and time which
often would be better working in the field. Yet few funding sources want
to be of the sustaining type. They are expecting a cashflow model to get
the projects off the grant path. Again, referring to "one" above,  some
systems are so far below the survival level that these highly leveraged
grants may never, at the current levels allow the project to rise up
above the surface.

In an Internet world, new models for development need to be addressed.
At the present time approaches such as those suggested by Peter's
description, below, are paliatives, patches which are attempting to fix
a neoclassical approach to development. Most of the ICT4D models are in
the same spirit, whether in the developed or developing world. What is
even more important is that the small "shining" exceptions are being
held up almost as faith offerings and being integrated into "lessons
learned" in the academic community and thus being perpetuated when new
thinking should be forthcoming.

thoughts?

tom abeles