Tom and others:

I think cell phones have their space and useful applications and
computers have their specific space and other useful applications.
Thinking of using cell phones in class rooms for curriculum delivery
seems to be quite a bit far fetched - with a small screen you can do
only so much in my opinion. With a decent sized keyboard and a mouse
with software that supports these types of input devices, you will
always be way better off when working, say on spreadsheets, text
documents or drawings. And these skills do provide a lot of benefit to
people looking for jobs. There is, as well, the whole concept of a
larger display, where multiple people can read information from it at
the same time and such.

Using a cell phone to check email and surf the web may appeal to some
more then others. I do believe on the other hand that SMS / Text
messaging is a very powerful tool and very cost effective as well. I was
recently in Uganda and there you can get access to market prices for
crops in various towns via SMS - this may be of value for many people.
And there are many more very good uses out there.

Thinking of computers as a thing of the past is, in my opinion,
something to discuss 15 to 20 years from now, but certainly not in the
next 5 years.

When thinking about costs there are a few other things to keep in mind
as well:

How long will the device be relevant? When does it need to be replaced?
Currently cell phones still have very fast innovation cycles compared to
computers, where the innovation cycle has slowed down dramatically over
the past few years. I can still use my computer from 3 years ago very
well for day to day word processing and so on, whereas if I require a
sophisticated cell phone I need to replace it about once a year.

Purchasing costs: The cost of a computer that will work fine for office
type applications and internet access is approaching $200 to $300
already now. While a cell phone that can access the internet, and
provides the user with a decent text entry capability still costs at
least $200 if not much more (keep in mind many cell phones in the US and
Europe are subsidized through contract term commitments, which doesn't
apply to they way cell phones are marketed in developing nations).

Ongoing costs: Cell phones still operate mainly on a per minute model,
not only for voice, but for data traffic as well. This limits the free
access of information, because it's not clear what the cost will be
exactly, while many types of data access for computers are already
priced at a flat-rate. Flat-rate data access makes it much easier to
find sustainable business models in the communities. And of course the
use of office applications has no other ongoing costs associated with it
other than power and the use of printing materials (if required). It's
much easier to budget for this then for metered services. Many PC
manufacturers are now recognizing the value of building
low-power-consuming computers and so the power requirements are
decreasing as well. It's already pretty easy to build computers from
off-the-shelf components that consume less then 20 Watts, and at prices
below $400, including keyboard, mouse and display.

I think each device has its place and for certain uses a cell phone is
by far superior to a computer under certain circumstances and vice
versa. It's misleading to assume that cell phones will replace computers
in the economies of Europe and the US anytime soon and we should not
expect that this will be different in other places around the world.

What do you think?

Mark
Mark Summer
co-founder, Inveneo