On 10/4/05, Mikhail Doroshevich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A Hundred-Dollar Laptop for Hungry Minds
>
> At Technology Review's Emerging Technology Conference at MIT September
> 28, 2005, Nicholas Negroponte, founder of MIT's Media Lab, showed off
> the design of a laptop he hopes can be sold for just $100.

Dear Mikhail and all,

I hope this finds you and your families well. It is great this List is
back up. I have good news! We're all on this bus together. It will take
many, many people to solve the problems we are addressing . And the
vast, vast majority of workers on these problems are people related to
people in poverty and people in poverty themselves. We are humbled to be
part of the effort.

In all humility, I do not believe Nick's $100 price.

We at Jhai have made progress lately including a deal with the Indian
government to make a low-power, rugged, low cost computer - with no
hidden costs - at under $200 based in large part on our Jhai PC. Our
Jhai PC v.1.6 has been field tested on the Navajo reservation since June
this year and in Laos in 2003 for a short period. Oddly the MIT machine
seems to look a lot like ours, but this must be a coincidence, I guess.
I wish them well.

We have released, as you know, our hardware assembly tools, our BOM, and
other documents as well as our software source code at
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/jhaipc/> The new machine we are
developing with the Indian government is faster, better and has no
moving parts. Ours is designed with major input and now a redesign by
people who live in or grew up in poorer communities. The Jhai PC and
communication system is part of a larger system that includes very well
thought out and tested socio-economic, networking, political and
communications solution matrixes based on and all related to the clearly
expressed needs of real poor people living in tough rural conditions.

Our project is bottom-up. It comes from people, including relatives of
mine, who are smart, have great skills, know their needs and their
conditions in the most minute detail, and who want to make more money
and basically keep their traditions in their villages. I thought I might
not go to Tunis, since I travel so much and it is so hard on my family.
Now, I think I will go. If I go, I will make further announcements
there. Now, I am in India and will stay here for another two weeks. We
have many partners here and elsewhere. We have been asked to help in 65
countries altogether. We just haven't chosen to talk about ourselves too
much before we believe that things are in place. There is a huge
distance between an idea and a tested system - we know - we have been at
this now for six years. Our Jhai PCs have run in the field with NO
crashes and have run in the lab with no crashes for 8 months. They are
full-function machines built for village people with inconsistent,
little, or no electricity - about 2,000,000,000 people in total. We
developed our machines with the help of Lao villagers, Navajo villagers,
and engineers from around the world on mainly a volunteer basis. We are
ready, now. Here's more detail:

Jhai Cooperating with the Indian government in producing a computer for
third world at under $200

The Center for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC), Ministry of
IT, Government of India, and Jhai Foundation are planning and
cooperating on the building of a sub-$200 full-function PC for third
world applications, ***with no hidden costs***. Dr. Ravindra Kumar, Addl
Director and Head, Hardware Design Centre, C-DAC states further, "We may
go for ASIC development to make this happen in large quantities. Govt.
of India's C-DAC is ideally equipped for this, with its national
presence (14 institutions, 2000+ staff) and design, deployment and
Transfer-of-Technology expertise, besides creating the ecosystem for
rural computing needs."

I am traveling all over India in next four weeks meeting with leaders of
the Datamation Foundation Trust <http://www.datamation.org/>, the MS
Swaminathan Foundation <http://www.msswaminathanfoundation.org>, n-Logue
<http://www.n-logue.com> and others to be announced to create test beds
and am visiting with many others in the government, the NGO sector, and
industry.

NAVAJO TEST OF JHAI PC V.1.6 AND COMMUNICATION SYSTEM GOING WELL

Chris Larsen reports from the field indicate that there have been no
hardware or software crashes of our machines. However, a lightning storm
knocked out one of his antennas for a day. We have also had issues with
the Vonage aspect. We are using Vonage because the Window Rock School
District has a proprietary network for VoIP phones that our system is
relating to. Understandably the school district does not want the
expectation or the expense of local VoIP phone users. Vonage cards are
not part of our long range plan. We have also begun our anthropological
study. Next step: I go to work with users on economic benefits and Chris
and I work with the chapter house and the tribal government to see how
this system is working and can be taken to a new level. An
anthropological study is in place with the cooperation of Intel
Corporation. This test was made possible by funding from Cisco Systems
and Foundation and others.

JHAI CONSULTING LAUNCHING

Jhai Consulting, an allied business of Jhai Foundation, is in formation
and is seeking capital for a service business related to ICT and
development in the third world. Its foci are interlocked:

* Training of 1.3 million local experts in participatory community
development, business planning and operations, and simple project
assessment using nearby community assets and experts through a
trainer-training program.

* Training of 1300 implementing organizations and six governments'
relevant officials to quickly assess how to customize solutions given
the local situation in terms of needed use, networking solutions,
business sustainability, communications environment, power options, and
electrical grid status through trainer-training programs,
video-conferencing, written and online materials, and localized
values-based instruction.

* A relationship website that allows for peer-to-peer mutual support and
best practices sharing with near-instant translation capabilities that
can make a profit within three years and serve end users, investors, and
hardware and software vendors.

* A MIS/Wiki website, starting in India, that will map the relevant
conditions and information for rural installments of information and
technology systems and networks.

* Assess opportunities and put the right people together to meet poorer
villagers' needs with the least risk for all stakeholders.

Contracts by Jhai Foundation are in place with partners in India and
Brazil and in development in China, South Africa, Laos, Vietnam,
Thailand, Australia, and Ghana. Further requests are in line from people
in a total of 65 countries. We are looking for angels and investors. We
have a business plan based primarily on first steps in India we can
share. It is a work-in-process. We are developing the trainer base for
India NOW with partners.

I think these five services are the key aspects -- beyond the technology
-- that are necessary. They are still little understood by developed
world partners. They are well known to villagers and locally based NGO's
and governments as challenges ahead. Villagers know and grounded
organizations know:

- Peers listen to peers best.

- Cooperation happens through respectful relationships - well beyond
and without denial of the West's colonial past.

- Good business practices and basic concepts are known to the most
remote villagers.

- Trade is as old as towns.

- Local people can teach local people best business practices and can
help them do what they need to do to make local implementations
practical and money-making.

- The key is high expectations, respect, and bringing your whole
selves to conversations.

- We all can do this practice with training and as long as we put
villagers' needs first.

Jhai has almost eight years of direct experience in the reconciliation
development methodology, and nearly five years of direct service
creating financially sustainable business-related projects in very harsh
conditions. We have spun off two nonprofits, four businesses, and a huge
co-operative over this time -- all making money. Doing this 'soft' work
is our core competency. I personally have over 35 years experience
teaching organizing and business techniques in poorer communities and
with disenfranchised consitutencies ... and even to graduate business
students. Our expertise in this field comes mostly, however, from the
years of experience of our collaborators, partners, staff, and literally
hundreds of volunteers. This work will be done almost exclusively by
people in developing countries with whom we share what we have in terms
of selves, skills, experience, and tools. Thousands of people have
gotten to this place with us and I am very grateful for all the lessons
they teach me. For further information, please contact Jesse Thorn at
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> or Earl Mardle at <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

yours, in Peace,

Lee Thorn
Chair, Jhai Foundation
CEO, Jhai Consulting