| I have a data structure Library, and two tools. One tool saves a Library,
| another one loads it. At the moment, Library must be "shown" by the first
| tool (i.e. converted to text format). This must then be re-parsed by the
| second tool.
|
| It would be much simpler, quicker etc. just to save the data structure
| directly as binary, and load it directly as binary.

There isn't a good way to do this in GHC at the moment.  It would
be a nice thing to have, but we just havn't got around to it.  Any takers?

| P.S. The GHC manual seems to take pride in not supporting the Binary class
|      :-) ("We don't do that" etc....) Is it just a portability thing?

You've just bumped into Will's sense of humour!

Actually I think class Binary disappeared in the 1.2 -> 1.3 transition,
but that wouldn't stop having a library function to save data structures.