| grepping for "interface PreludeStdIO" in the 0.29 library interface files
| comes up with nothing, so maybe it's not really surprising. (Or is it yet
| more "magic"?..) Adding -fhaskell-1.3 does not help, either - the same error
| message appears, before it spots all the continuation I/O!

I don't understand this.  It's in ghc/lib/prelude/PreludeStdIO.hi in the
local OGI build of 0.29.  I have no idea why it isn't in yours.  Maybe
Sigbjorn's hack will work.

| Why is it that Haskell's "closure rule" does not force a module to export
| everything needed for a function to type-check (at least in 1.2)? If something
| like "Maybe" is not exported by a module, the user must robotically look at
| the module's interface and add the declaration that imports Maybe. Because
| it's a robotic action, the computer should do it for you :-)

This is all fixed in Haskell 1.3, and therefore in GHC 2.02, which does
modules much, much, much better.   The closure rule is much relaxed.