Quite impressed with 4.02 so far -- it walks the walks, see promohype
elsewhere, why should I give you all too much free advertising? ;-)
It does indeed seem to be more go-faster than 3.02, _but_:

No profiling!  Boo, hiss.

Funny space behaviour -- a module I have that contains just one king-sized
constant definition (169K of structured list) now takes _much_ more heap
to compile with 4.02 vs. 3.02.  Details on request if this is a unduly
Surprising result.

Parting shot:  isAlphaNum vs. isAlphanum?  Haven't we been here before?
Don't the committee have more amusing (and less pointless and gratuitously
program-breaking) things to tinker with?  (I know, nothing to do with
ghc, I'm just in a mood to 'give out'...)

Slan libh,
Alex.