Thomas Hallgren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote,

> "Manuel M. T. Chakravarty" wrote:
>
> > Some mail readers have a summary
> > mode that shows only some 20 characters of the subject line.
>
> For this reason, I think you should not add a tag at
> all. I don't think this is necessary. The presence of
> "glasgow-haskell-users" in the To: or CC: field is quite
> enough to allow a mail filter to put all mail to the list
> in a separate folder. I set up a filter like this when I
> joined the list, and it has worked fine since then, even
> though the domain part of the address has changed...

But I (and maybe others) don't like mail filters that file
away mailing lists.  I prefer to have everything in a single
inbox and visual "scan" it myself.  Therefore, a short tag
is actually quite useful - but it should be short (that was
my point).

Manuel

PS: Interesting is that my first message on this subject
    took 6 days to make it through the mailing list's
    mailer...