Sven Panne wrote:
[ cut ]
> Doing a similar thing for GHC would complicate things for implementors
> and users. How e.g. would you write your Makefile rules with .hi files
> in an archive?
Yes, it would complicate things for implementors, as they'd have to implement
it.  However I don't think adding a rule
   interfaces.a : $(HS_IFACES)
      $(AR) -c $> $<
to the standard GHC makefiles, and altering the targets to include
lib/{prelude,std,misc,exts,...}/interfaces.a
would be incredibly onerous for the poor implementors.  The poor
old users would not have to do anything to their Makefiles since the old
mechanism would still be available.  (Though of course GHC would run
considerably faster for them since it wouldn't have to load in everything in
the standard libraries.)  However as a GHC user already I would be
delighted with the new mechanism myself and make use of it to speed up
my compilations, by adding similar rules to the one suggested above.  It's
no more complicated than what I already do to construct libraries, and
I would save a lot of time.