: From: "Rob MacAulay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

: I have long been interested in Computer Algebra systems, and I
: admit that one of the things that attracted me to Haskell were the
: tantalizing hints that it would be ideal for mathematical
: programming.

[snip]

: Would it also be true to say that FP offers the possibilty of
: implementing more mathematically rigorous 'proof' systems as
: well?

I haven't had the time to find out more about this
project. Also I don't know if you know about this
yet. If not you may find the following interesting
[quote from one of Bruno Buchberger's pages]

   The development of a new approach to mathematics
   that integrates "pure" and "algorithmic" mathematics
   in one common logical and software technological
   frame and is meant as an alternative to the currently
   prevailing "Bourbaki" formalization of mathematics.
   This research combines my past research experience in
   algorithmic mathematics, foundations of mathematics and
   computer science, didactics of mathematics, software and
   algorithm design, see publications since 1994.

   For more details, see the Theorema project http://www.theorema.org

Regards,

Marc van Dongen
     Marc van Dongen, CS Dept | phone:   +353 21 903578
University College Cork, NUIC | Fax:     +353 21 903113
  College Road, Cork, Ireland | Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]