Manuel M. T. Chakravarty writes:
 > The problem with restricting youself to the Jouyou-Kanji is
 > that you have a hard time with names (of persons and
 > places).  Many exotic and otherwise unused Kanji are used in
 > names (for historical reasons) and as the Kanji
 > representation of a name is the official identifier, it is
 > rather bad form to write a person's name in Kana (the
 > phonetic alphabets).

You're absolutely right. This fact slipped my mind.

Still, probably 85% (just a guess) of Japanese names can be written with
Jyouyou kanji, and the CJK set in Unicode is a strict superset of the Jyouyou,
so there are actually more kanji available, and the problem is not quite so
severe. However, for Chinese names I can imagine it being quite restrictive.

--
Frank Atanassow, Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University
Padualaan 14, PO Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, Netherlands