> I just wanted to make a feature request to ghc --make (there seem to
> have been a number of such...)
>
> I have a project currently consisting of 36 Haskell modules, and a
> number of support modules for those.
>
> Naturally, compiling this takes quite some time (even for ghc --make)
> especially considering that one of the modules is a happy-generated
> parser.
>
> When I make a bug fix in one of the modules early in the dependancy
> chain, this forces a recompile of all the modules above it,
> even if the
> modules interface hasn't changed.
>
> I would suggest that when ghc --make recompiles a module, it should
> compare the new interface with the old one, and if they are the same,
> doesn't force recompiliation of the modules that depend on it, but
> merely change the time on those files without actually compiling.

GHC actually has rather sophisticated recompilation checking which goes beyond just
checking whether the interface changed - it keeps version information for each entity
exported by a module and only recompiles if any of the entities actually used by the
module have changed (this is described in the user's guide under the section on
recompilation checking).

So the upshot is that what you're describing shouldn't happen, and it may be a bug.
Could you send us more info?