I don't know if this will help, but I am using GHC Interactive, version 5.03, for Haskell 98, and I wanted to use the 'toUpper' function. 'toUpper' is defined in Data.Char, but is not loaded when ghci is started:

Prelude> :info toUpper

Variable not in scope: `toUpper'

To bring 'toUpper' into scope, I put "import Char" in my program (a very simple program named "Text1.hs"):

module Text1 where
import Char

f = Char.toUpper 'a'

After starting ghci from the operating system shell, I enter ":load <program name>" at the ghci prompt, then evaluate the function 'f':

[localhost:~/Documents/myHaskellProgs] richard% ghci
.
.
.
Prelude> :load Text1.hs
Compiling Text1 ( Text1.hs, interpreted )
Ok, modules loaded: Text1.
*Text1> f
'A'
*Text1>