Brian Strand wrote:

Jens Petersen wrote:

Brian Strand wrote:

Hello,

I'm having some serious "issues" getting GHC to run on Suse 9.2/x86 (or x86-64
for that matter, although I didn't really expect that to work without some pain
and suffering). I've had no luck with 6.2.2, or any 6.4 release candidate. Here is a typical example: after doing a "./configure; make in-place", I get
the following:

/home/bstrand/haskell/ghc-6.4.20050221/lib/i386-unknown-linux/ghc-6.4.20050221:

error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.4: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory

Fair enough; "rpm -q readline" gives me readline-5.0-1.2.

How about just installing readline4 (or whatever package provides libreadline.so.4)? :)

Jens

I was trying to "do the right thing" and report whatever was broken in the ghc bootstrapping process :) But shortly after my post I broke down and installed readline-compat (which on Suse 9.2 luckily happens to have libreadline.so.4), which fixes my problem on x86.

Unfortunately I'm still stuck on x86-64, since there are no "official" binaries to bootstrap from on that platform. But at least I have a ghc to play with while waiting for x86-64 to become official.

Thanks for the assistance,
Brian

There are some debian packages of ghc 6.2.2 and related stuff for amd64 located here: http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64/pool/unstable/main/amd64/g/ghc6/

Hopefully you can find some way to convert these to a format you can install (there are programs for converting debian packages to rpms I think, but I can't remember what they are called - google is your friend).

After installing this binary, bootstrapping an (at least unregistered) amd64 ghc 6.4 should be possible.

Cheers,
Anders