Einar Karttunen wrote:

I am having problems combining TH and profiling with ghc-6.5.20060420. GHC
seems to die
when loading the object file for TH execution and failing to notice that it
should
load profiling symbols. The exact error is:

ghc-6.5.20060420:
.haskell_cache/http_searchpath.org-default.map.cache//HAppS/Util/StdMain/StartStateTH.o:
 unknown symbol `entering_PAP'

I can create a simpler example of this if needed.

TH and profiling don't mix at the moment, and never have. There's an open bug: http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/651.

The technical reason is that the interpreter used to execute the TH code isn't compatible with the profiled object code in the other compiled modules. It's exactly the same reason you can't load profiled object code into GHCi.