Hi Simon,

I'll set up ssh access to a dual processor FreeBSD box.  It should be
ready by later today (I'll send a note).

Best,
Greg

On Aug 4, 2006, at 8:08 AM, Simon Marlow wrote:

I just realised I sent the following only to [EMAIL PROTECTED], not
glasgow-hasell-users:

Simon Marlow wrote:
Just a quick note to say thanks for all the offers of help on 6.4.3 - it's very encouraging to see so many people willing to offer their time and machines.
The state of play so far:
On FreeBSD, reports suggest that there's are one or possibly two problems exposed by the threaded RTS. The timeout program in the testsuite sometimes hangs, and GHC itself may hang when linked against the threaded RTS. This looks like a tricky one, so I'm going to try to look into it myself. I've installed FreeBSD 6.1 on an old laptop and I'm currently building 6.4.2 on it. On MacOS X / PPC, we have a crashing stage2 when linked against the threaded RTS. Gregory Wright is trying to reproduce the problem on a smaller scale (with something other than GHC). The "timeout hanging" problem apparently happens on MacOS X/Intel too (according to Joel Reymont). If I find the cause on FreeBSD, we can test the fix on MacOS X/Intel.

I have an update on FreeBSD. I built the CVS 6.4 branch on a fresh install of
FreeBSD, and ran the testsuite:

OVERALL SUMMARY for test run started at Thu  3 Aug 2006 09:42:30 BST
    1365 total tests, which gave rise to
    4157 test cases, of which
       0 caused framework failures
     583 were skipped

    3505 expected passes
      46 expected failures
       2 unexpected passes
      21 unexpected failures

Unexpected passes:
   cholewo-eval(optasm)
   ffi009(optasm)

Unexpected failures:
   arith011(opt)
   barton-mangler-bug(normal,opt,ghci,threaded)
   cabal01(normal)
   galois_raytrace(ghci)
   ioref001(normal,threaded)
   joao-circular(normal,opt,optasm,threaded)
   newtype(opt)
   queryfdoption01(normal,opt,optasm,threaded)
   rn.prog006(normal)
   seward-space-leak(ghci)
   signals002(threaded)

Some of those failures are probably due to running out of memory on this laptop (which only has 128M + 256M swap, I should have given it more swap). But I don't see any evidence of hanging timeout processes and stage2 apparently works
fine.

That means the problem only shows up on a dual proc/dual core (Gregory reported seeing this on a dual proc build of FreeBSD). Greg - can you give me SSH access
to your box, and I'll take a look?