Cabal is not a solution to this problem because

1. you want your code to work via ghci and runhaskell and perhaps via searchpath.

2. you may want to move a module from one package to another and you don't want to have to examine the cabal file to figure out how to do that. The source file should have enough information.

Extensions that change the interpretation of an already valid haskell source file really need to be declared explicitly e.g. undecidableinstances.

Extensions that change syntax are effectively declared by the use of that syntax. If you can parse the source, then you know which extensions it uses.

-Alex-