Christian Maeder wrote:
Simon Marlow wrote:
hsing-chou chen wrote:
Thank you for porting GHC 6.8.2 to solaris, I am assigned a

job to make sure GHC run 64 bits on solaris. Is your

solaris port 64 bits. Or it only 32 BITS. I know 32 bits

GHC can still run on 64 bits solaris. However company want

to run really 64 bits GHC on solaris. Thanks a lot if you
You want to look at the porting instructions:

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Porting

Start from GHC 6.6.1 (6.8.2 doesn't bootstrap from .hc files yet).

This won't be easy, you'll need to know details of the processor
architecture, and be prepared to learn about GHC internals.  But it'll
be fun, if you like that sort of thing :)

That's too much for me. I'll wait until ghc-6.8 (or ghc-6.10) can be
bootstrapped from C-sources.

Waiting for 6.8 or 6.10 to be bootstrappable won't actually help with the porting you need to do to get a 64-bit Sparc port working. You'll still need to modify parts of the system that deal with architecture- and platform-specific things.

If I get libffi integrated (hopefully for 6.10) then this will reduce the porting effort, as the clever libffi folks will already have 64-bit Sparc support. However, we'll likely be dropping the C backend in 6.10, so the only way to get good performance will be to write a native code generator. Hopefully by then we'll have refactored the NCG to make it easier to add new ones, though.