John Meacham wrote:
On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 02:47:37PM -0700, Simon Marlow wrote:
Yeah, I'd like -fvia-C to be headerless. We talked about it a while back (on the haskell-prime list I think). The main issue is that GHC would have to generate prototypes based on the FFI declaration, and since it can't guarantee to generate a prototype that is exactly the same as the C prototype given in the header file (e.g. it doesn't know about const), we would have to ensure that there really are no other prototypes in scope, to prevent errors from the C compiler.

I was thinking that you just wouldn't include any extra c headers at all
then, just write out the appropriate c code to call with the conventions
specified in the ffi import specification and you won't need external
headers at all so there isn't anything to conflict with.

Yes, pretty much. There are a bunch of C headers that define the macros used by the generated C code, and we have to be careful that they don't include anything external - in the past we used to #include several things from /usr/include, but I think we're much cleaner these days.