Christian Maeder wrote:
Ian Lynagh wrote:

I'm not sure why we have both HAVE_TIMER_CREATE and USE_TIMER_CREATE.

I'd like to know, too.

It's because the configure script checks for more than just the existence of timer_create() (HAVE_TIMER_CREATE), it checks that it works well enough to use (USE_TIMER_CREATE). Historical versions of Linux had broken implementations of timer_create() that we need to avoid. Unfortunately this means that taking a GHC binary built on a newer Linux will not work on an older version.

timer_create() is needed so that we can avoid needing to use the SIGALRM signal, which interferes with other things (there are previous tickets on this, a search for SIGALRM should turn them up).