Barney Stratford wrote:
I'm trying to compile GHC 6.8.2 using my existing GHC 6.2, but the
typechecker refuses to compile. The problem seems to be that the hi-boot
files in compiler/typecheck contain some incorrect type signatures. I've
fixed most of them, but TcMatches.hi-boot-6 has slightly stumped me. As
it stands, it says

tcMatchesFun :: Name.Name
             -> HsExpr.MatchGroup Name.Name
             -> TcType.BoxyRhoType
             -> TcRnTypes.TcM (HsBinds.HsWrapper, HsExpr.MatchGroup
TcRnTypes.TcId)

but it should say something like

tcMatchesFun :: Name.Name -> Bool
             -> HsExpr.MatchGroup Name.Name
             -> TcType.BoxyRhoType
             -> TcRnTypes.TcM (HsBinds.HsWrapper, HsExpr.MatchGroup
TcRnTypes.TcId)

Unfortunately, that doesn't work, as it assumes I meant TcMatches.Bool,
so I tried saying Prelude.Bool instead. Now I get the complaint that
Prelude.Bool isn't in scope.

Has anyone else seen this issue? I've looked for answers in the docs and
with Google, but no luck.

I think we only supported using GHC 6.4 for building 6.8. Using 6.2 might be possible, but no guarantees.

To answer your question above, you probably want GHC.Base.Bool (hi-boot files used to need "original names", that is, the module that originally defined a thing, which might be different from the module you normally get it from).