On 26/07/2009 21:09, Antoine Latter wrote:
Folks,

I was trying to see what GHC head was like, but I've run into a few
snags compiling packages.

My existing binary for cabal-install can install quite a few packages,
but then starts giving me strange errors eventually:

$ cabal --version
cabal-install version 0.6.2
using version 1.6.0.1 of the Cabal library

$ ghc --version
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 6.11.20090724

$ cabal install zlib
Resolving dependencies...
Configuring zlib-0.5.2.0...
ghc-stage2: /home/alatter/.ghc/x86_64-linux-6.11.20090724/package.conf:6:163:
     parse error on input `Nothing'
zlib-0.5.2.0 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
exit: ExitFailure 1
<<<

If I then do:

$ mv /home/alatter/.ghc/x86_64-linux-6.11.20090724/package.conf
/home/alatter/.ghc/x86_64-linux-6.11.20090724/package.conf.back

$ cabal install zlib
<<<

Everything works great.

After looking at the package.conf being complained about, the last
line looks like so:

InstalledPackageInfo {package = PackageIdentifier {pkgName =
PackageName "cpphs", pkgVersion = Version {versionBranch = [1,7],
versionTags = []}}, license = LGPL Nothing, copyright = "2004-8,
Malcolm Wallace", maintainer = "Malcolm Wallace
<malcolm.wall...@cs.york.ac.uk>", author = ...
<<<

Not the license field of the package info - we have "license = LGPL
Nothing, copright ...".

I thought that maybe since GHC head ships with the new dev version of
Cabal, I need the dev version of cabal-install to properly install
packages. However cabal-install (and most of the things I want to test
out) require the 'network' package, which doesn't build against GHC
head (System.Posix.Internals doesn't exist, and the functionality that
'network' uses from there now lives in GHC.IO.* and is much changed).

So a few things:

- Should I expect the stable version of cabal-install built against
GHC 6.10 to work for head? Are the errors I'm getting expected?

Yes, you'll need a new cabal-install built against the version of Cabal that comes with GHC HEAD.

- Does anyone have a version of 'network' which builds against GHC
head? I could bludgeon in the new GHC.IO.FD.FD type myself, but I'd
thought I'd ask around first.

Not that I know of. This is something that needs to be done for the first platform release after GHC 6.12.1, but preferably earlier in case there are any changes we need to make in base.