On 07/10/2009 21:58, Barney Stratford wrote:
I'm back in Cambridge now. Snowdonia was great, and just as wet as
expected.

As far as I'm aware, nobody's got a fully functioning Snow Leopard GHC
yet. Just before going away, I tried to use my partly-functioning 64-bit
GHC to build 6.10, but found that the stage 1 compiler segfaulted.

My plan now is to get 6.8.3 fully working so that we all have something,
if a little old, that works. (This is because I need it for another
project.) Once I've managed this, I'll post a full set of instructions
to get everyone else going too. Then I plan to attempt to get 6.12
working, and provide a binary that can be used for bootstrapping. (I may
need some pointers for this.)

Incidentally, 6.12 doesn't appear to be in
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/ , only in the Darcs repo. Was that
intentional?

So far, the sticking point has been getting the interactive linker to
work. Snow Leopard has much tighter security than its predecessors, so
we have to use mmap. Unfortunately, the mmap version of GHC's linker
also requires mremap, which is a Linux-only extension that Snow Leopard
doesn't have.

I believe we fixed the mremap dependency in 6.10, and that was also when we added support for libffi. I expect you'll have a much easier time getting GHCi to work with 6.10 or 6.12, so use 6.8.x for bootstrapping only.