On 02/21/10 13:14, Ian Lynagh wrote:
On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 02:56:53PM -0500, Isaac Dupree wrote:
-what am I trying to accomplish (at least, performance-wise)?

I think opinions are divided on this.

Performance with word-sized Integer's is definitely important.

This is true.

We could start a discussion on the Libraries list -- although I'm sure it would also not reach a clear conclusion.

We could try to find out how large Integers get, in practice, in existing Haskell code (this may be difficult to find out).

We could make sure there's a good non-builtin-to-ghc GMP-binding library (Is there one? Is it even possible yet, in a way that doesn't conflict with GHC's builtin GMP?). Then people would have a place to turn if they need GMP's performance for something particular.

-what might be a good low-level format? (And is it important to strew
unboxed ints all over the place, or is it fine to skip this and count on
the optimizer?)

I think relying on the optimiser is OK, but don't forget that you don't
have the standard (+) etc.

oh okay, interesting. I think I'd best start by finding out where integer-simple lies in the dependency tree.

-Isaac