On 11/11/2010 22:41, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Edward Z. Yang <ezy...@mit.edu
<mailto:ezy...@mit.edu>> wrote:

    I was under the impression we fixed this:

    That is, we should be using SIGVTALRM, not SIGALRM, these days, except
    under certain conditions when your operating system doesn't support
    the proper timer (which Linux most assuredly does).

It's still a pretty common problem with all kinds of libraries.

http://www.serpentine.com/blog/2010/09/04/dealing-with-fragile-c-libraries-e-g-mysql-from-haskell/

Is there anything that we could do in GHC to improve the situation? I suppose we could have a dedicated OS thread who's job it was to sit around and run the signal handler every Nth of a second.