On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 01:29:10PM +1100, Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
> Ian Lynagh:
> > On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 12:56:00PM -0800, Mark Lentczner wrote:
> >>
> >> Outstanding question is what should this framework be called? I would like
> >> to continue to call it GHC.framework, but change the version to something
> >> like 7.0.1+HP-i386,
> >
> > I think it ought to be called Haskell-Platform.framework.
>
> The GHC.framework inside the Haskell Platform should still be the
> GHC.framework.  The rest of the Haskell Platform might be in a different
> framework (or further, more specific frameworks identifying the individual
> components inside).  A Mac OS X framework is *not* a unit of distribution.
> It is more like a library with associated meta data and tools.  You wouldn't
> rename glibc to, say, ubuntulibc just because you happen to get it via an
> Ubuntu install.

Oh, if the framework just contains GHC then GHC.framework makes sense.

> >> [*] The binary GHC distribution could be
> >>    - built by the GHC team, and asking them for a tarball (as Duncan
> >> suggested)
> >
> > I do "make framework-pkg" to build the OS X installer, but it's
> > essentially a black box to me. We're happy to accept patches that make
> > this also produce a bindist, though.
> >
> > Now that we have the Haskell Platform, perhaps we should stop making GHC
> > OS X installers, and only make plain old unix bindists.
>
> Especially given that the Haskell Platform is released many months after GHC,
> please keep making GHC OS X installers.  At the very least, that will lead to
> more GHC installs and *testing* on OS X between the GHC release and Haskell
> Platform release.

For previous GHC releases, some OS X users have been not testing GHC RCs
as that would mean uninstalling their current GHC (which they know
works, and has a load of packages installed). That's semi-fixed now
(there are still some issues, e.g. you can't install an earlier version
than you already have installed - although I don't know how "earlier" is
determined), but even so a bindist installed under ~ may feel safer to
people who don't want their system GHC affected.

Thanks
Ian