On 21.01.2011, at 03:12, Ian Lynagh wrote:

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 09:22:37PM +0100, Axel Simon wrote:

In the case of the layout "bug", I think it might be worth considering
going the other way: adjusting the standard with what ghc has always
done.

Anyone can propose language changes - the process is described here:
   http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/wiki/Process

I therefore think that keeping the number of extensions
to a minimum should be a high priority. It seems that the ghc team is
going overboard with the amount of extensions and their granularity that
I do not believe that there will ever be another compiler since
implementing all these extensions is a nightmare. The road of may
extensions is leading down the road that the Haskell standards aimed to avoid: having a single implementation defining what a Haskell program can
be.

I'm not sure if you're saying there should be fewer new language
features implemented, less fine-grained control over which are enabled,
or something else?

I agree that new language features is required to make Haskell a research platform. So it would be awkward to try to stop people from adding new language features. I don't mind if highly experimental language features come in many varieties (i.e. with fine-grained control about what is allowed).

I'm more concerned about standard extensions that many (even most) people use somewhere in their projects. I get the feeling that these get split up into too many individual language features which will make it difficult for other compilers to implement the extension and the switched-off extension correctly. Haskell 2010 is going into the right direction in making some of these features mandatory which means that they become language features that you can't switch them off anymore. This makes it more likely that future compilers can implement a comprehensive Haskell language. So yes, less fine-grained control for features people use often.

The layout rule seems to be one extension that can go into the report (both 98 and 2010) without breaking any program. If this is really so, then I think it is easiest for compiler writer and users if such a change is made to the report. I think only very few language features qualify for going directly into the reports since most of them can break programs.

Hope this clarifies my opinion,

Cheers,
Axel

Thanks