On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 06:22:03PM -0600, David Peixotto wrote:
> Another possible advantage to git would be its support for submodules[1]. If
> we made the switch to git for all the repositories that GHC uses, then we
> could set them up as submodules. The advantage of submodules is that the GHC
> repo would contain pointers to the exact commit needed in the remote
> repository, and they would be under version control. Having submodules for
> the other repos would be similar to the darcs_all script, but would not have
> the danger of leaving [dangling pointers][2] when making a new branch.
>
> [1] http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-submodule.html
> [2] http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/cvs-ghc/2010-November/057573.html

During a list conversation about migrating to Git for another software
project, there was a discussion about submodules vs. subtrees for
tracking other projects. A subtree seems to be a way of getting the
contents of a branch merged at a non-root location. It might be a
relevant read and something to evaluate.

http://progit.org/book/ch6-7.html

--
Lars Viklund | z...@acc.umu.se