Somebody claiming to be Ian Lynagh wrote:
On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 10:22:12AM -0500, Stephen Paul Weber wrote:
IIRC, one of the problems with dynamic linking in GHC is that when
the GHC version is different, the ABI can often be different enough
to making such shared libraries incompatible with each other /
binaries made on different GHCs.  This makes distribution a
potential nightmare (where you have to package all the *.so files
and send them along with your binary, which is essentially the same
as static linking, but more pain).

That is still the case. However, if you want to distribute binaries then
you will still be able to build with -static if you don't want to have
ot bundle a load of DLLs. It's only the default that will change.

If the default changes, though, that would mean that before distribution I would have to re-build all my cabal packages with -static? And if I change my default so that cabal builds with -static GHCI would no longer work for me?

--
Stephen Paul Weber, @singpolyma
See <http://singpolyma.net> for how I prefer to be contacted