On 06/16/16 12:53 PM, Harendra Kumar wrote:
A thought that came to my mind was whether we should focus on getting
better code out of the llvm backend or the native code generator. LLVM
seems pretty good at the specialized task of code generation and low
level optimization, it is well funded, widely used and has a big
community support. That allows us to leverage that huge effort and take
advantage of the new developments. Does it make sense to outsource the
code generation and low level optimization tasks to llvm and ghc
focussing on higher level optimizations which are harder to do at the
llvm level? What are the downsides of using llvm exclusively in future?

Good reading IMHO about the topic is here: https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/ImprovedLLVMBackend

Cheers,
Karel