My main motivation was that I had a vague idea, not remotely ready for a
proposal, and wanted a place to try hashing it out. My limited experience
with glasgow-haskell-users is that it's where threads go to die.
Haskell-cafe might work, but it's a bit tricky to pull up all the language
extension ideas discussed there. So I figured maybe the ghc-proposals issue
tracker would be the best way. Might be worth a try, anyway.