On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 12:39 PM David Feuer <david.fe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To be clear, the proposal to allow different constraints was accepted, but
> integrating it into the current, incredibly complex, code was well beyond
> the limited abilities of the one person who made an attempt. Totally
> severing pattern synonyms from constructor synonyms (giving them separate
> namespaces) would be a much simpler design.

It might be simpler in some ways, despite needing yet another syntactic
marker, etc. but also would make them a lot less useful for a lot of places
where they are used today, e.g. to provide backwards compatibility for old
constructors as an API changes, and the like.

Before I left MIRI, Cale had started work on these for us. Is that the work
you are thinking of, or are you thinking of an earlier effort?

-Edward