Didn't OpenWRT have some security holes a while back? I'm trying to sell
clients on a first line of defence against potential ransomware attacks so I
need something rock solid.

gvim

On 14/06/2021 17:02, Travis Mooney via GLLUG wrote:
There are off the shelf OpenWRT routers. I use:

  * Turris Omnia as edge routers: https://www.turris.com/en/omnia/overview/
  * GL iNet Convexa-B as access points

Both work well, and are native OpenWRT solutions. The Omnia is a bit expensive,
but you could just stick with GL iNet devices if cost is a problem.

Kind regards,

travis

On 14/06/2021 16:56, Peter Grant via GLLUG wrote:

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 at 16:43, Martin A. Brooks via GLLUG <gllug@mailman.lug.org.uk
<mailto:gllug@mailman.lug.org.uk>> wrote:

    On 2021-06-14 15:42, gvim via GLLUG wrote:
    > With ransomeware becoming a threat to both small and large businesses
    > I'm inclined to advise small businesses to change their router as a
    > first line of defence. What is currently the best NIX-based
    > router/software? pfSense?

    If I was installing such a thing at a customer site I would first
    suggest a reasonable off the shelf product rather than a custom built
    black box.

I have run pfsense very happily at work (and home) for many years - it's nicely
comprehensive and easy to use. Netgate (owners of pfsense) make some devices
with pfsense preinstalled, which I can't speak from much experience with. Until
we moved office and I got the budget to replace it, we have an old Pentium dual
core Dell desktop running pfsense.
Peter

--
******