NEW DELHI: Accusing Venugopal Dhoot-led Videocon of indulging in fraud and
corrupt practices in dealings with it, the World
Bank<http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/5890713.cms?frm=mailtofriend#>has
blacklisted the
[image: Venugopal Dhoot]
Indian company for three years, ending January 11, 2013.

Videocon Industries Ltd has been barred from doing any business with World
Bank for violating "procurement guidelines", for a period of three years,
beginning January 11, 2010, a notification on the Bank's
website<http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/5890713.cms?frm=mailtofriend#>said.

The World Bank had taken a similar tough line with Satyam
Computer<http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/5890713.cms?frm=mailtofriend#>months
before the IT company's founder chairman confessed to an accounting
fraud.

Either Dhoot or his spokesperson could not be reached for comments, despite
several phone calls and messages.

Videocon was sent a "letter of reprimand subsequent to an administrative
process" permitting the company to respond to the allegations, the World
Bank said in its latest update of companies blacklisted for doing business
due to fraud and corruption charges.

Videocon's name has been listed among firms and individuals ineligible to be
awarded a World Bank-financed contract, as it has violated fraud and
corruption provisions of the procurement guidelines.

"The period of ineligibility of Videocon Industries Ltd extends to any firm
directly or indirectly controlled by the sanctioned firm," World Bank said.

It further said that the ineligibility might be reduced by up to one year,
if after two years of ineligibility, the Bank's Sanctions Board finds
Videocon of having taken "satisfactory" remedial actions.

The Videocon group is a conglomerate with interests in consumer electronics,
home appliances, oil & gas, telecom & media, among others.

The list of debarred entities from India include two Kolkata-based firms B R
& Sons and Hemant Tibrewal, and three Delhi-based entities -- Om Prakash
Jindal, Upasana Jindal and S M Scientific Instruments Pvt Ltd.

These five entities were debarred by the World Bank in January this year and
the sanctions would be in place for three years till January 2013.

Other Indian entities in the list include Nestor Pharmaceuticals, GAP
International and Surendra Singh. While Nestor has been banned from July
2007 till July 2010, the two others have been debarred permanently.

In January 2009, World Bank disclosed that it had banned three Indian firms
-- Satyam Computer Services, Wipro
Technologies<http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/5890713.cms?frm=mailtofriend#>and
Megasoft Consultants -- from receiving direct contracts from the Bank
group under its corporate procurement programme.

"The World Bank Group has decided to make public the names of all companies
that have been debarred from receiving direct contracts from the Bank Group
under its corporate procurement programme. This change was made in the
interest of fairness and transparency," World Bank had said in a statement
in January last year.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
""GLOBAL SPECULATORS"" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/globalspeculators?hl=en.

Reply via email to