World Bank blacklists Videocon for 3 yrs


New Delhi: Accusing the Venugopal Dhoot-led Videocon of indulging in fraud
and corrupt practices in dealings with it, the World Bank has bl a ck l i s
t e d the Indian company for three years, ending January 11, 2013.
   Videocon Industries has been barred from doing any business with World
Bank for violating “procurement guidelines”, for a period of three years,
beginning January 11, 2010, a notification on the Bank’s website said.
   The World Bank had taken a similar tough line with Satyam months before
the IT company’s founder chairman confessed to an accounting fraud.
   However, the group has already moved a petition to revoke the ban. “We
approached the World Bank in February, 2010, to revoke the ban ... after some
hearings, we hope it will be done,” Videocon Chairman Venugopal Dhoot said,
shortly after the global lender’s decision became public.
   Dhoot said that the action came on account of wrong information given by
one of its employees in a tender in 2003 for supplying airconditioners worth
about $50,000. “We suspended that employee and took disciplinary action. We
have so far not supplied anything to the World Bank,” he said, adding that
given the size of the group this was not a very significant order and his
firms would not do anything wrong for securing any supply order.
   Videocon was sent a “letter of reprimand subsequent to an administrative
process”, permitting the company to respond to the allegations, the bank
said.
   Videocon’s name has been listed among firms and individuals ineligible to
be awarded a World Bank-financed contract, as it has violated fraud and
corruption provisions of the procurement guidelines.
   “The period of ineligibility of Videocon Industries extends to any firm
directly or indirectly controlled by the sanctioned firm,” World Bank said.
   It further said that the ineligibility might be reduced by up to one
year, if after two years of ineligibility, the bank finds that Videocon has
taken “satisfactory” remedial actions. AGENCIES

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
""GLOBAL SPECULATORS"" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/globalspeculators?hl=en.

Reply via email to