On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 09:38:21AM +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-02-01 at 12:23 +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> > Back in 2012 I think it was I tried glom and found it didn't quite do
> > what I wanted.  However I'm probably looking for something different
> > now and also glom has moved on.
> >
> > So, a couple of initial questions about how it uses databases.  I
> > know
> > that back in 2012 my major issue with glom was that it used
> > postresql,
> > it still does but things seem to have changed a bit.
> >
> > I have installed glom on my xubuntu 15.10 system
>
> Using the PPA packages, right? The official Ubuntu packages are usually
> terribly out of date and buggy.

Yes.

> >  and tried some of the
> > examples, these seem somehow to work with local files rather than a
> > database server.  Can I get it to work the same way with my own
> > databases (i.e. ones I have created myself with glom)?  Will these
> > databases be compatible with any other software or are they specific
> > glom format?
>
> It always uses a (PostgreSQL) database server. Unless you choose to use
> an existing PostgreSQL database server, it starts one every time you
> open the file.

Yes, I've since realised that, I had postgresql installed on the
system where I ran it.  So, as you say, Glom just starts its own
server.  That makes it *feel* a bit like sqlite in a way.

> > Presumably if I install a postgresql server then glom can use that
> > and
> > share the databases with other programs. Yes?
>
> Yes.
>
> You probably do have a PostgreSQL server installed, because it's a
> dependency of Glom. And it's probably running, because that's how the
> packages work in debian/Ubuntu. But it's probably not configured.

It is confugured because in the past I have run things which needed
postgresql, I've never bothered to remove it though nothing use it.

> > Finally what is the status of sqlite3 in glom?  Has the code been
> > maintained at all?  Can I build from source with the sqlite3 support
> > and expect it to work?
>
> At least in the lower-level of the code (libglom and libgda) the
> support is always there, and always tested by Glom's "make check"
> regression tests. However, I have no plans to offer that choice in the
> UI by default. It might work for you.

OK, thanks.

--
Chris Green